Thursday, December 22, 2011

:: evolution of pirate girl's book cover ::

Hilary here again! Last time, I walked through the evolution of the Pirate Girl's appearance. Today I will walk through the steps in the creation of the book cover for The Pirate Girl's Treasure - An Origami Adventure.


This was the initial sketch I created for our book cover. The fonts were place holders while I figured things out. I was super excited to incorporate a hidden image across the double page spread...


This is a colour sketch where I blocked in the big shapes to see if this would work. I even threw in some texture for effect.


My editor and I agreed that the previous sketch didn't convey the "epic-ness" of the Pirate Girl's adventure, so we went with this version instead. I really wanted to use this font...



The sand colour was fighting a bit with Pirate Girl's face. To increase legibility (and allow our star to shine), I had to gray out the sandy beach.

Also after a lengthy discussion about the font choice, we went with this final design!

Close up of The Pirate Girl's Treasure - An Origami Adventure cover available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment